What Is IV Therapy?
Intravenous (IV) therapy is a method that allows the administration of fluids directly into a patient’s vein. This allows for direct delivery of water, medication, blood, or nutrients into the body faster. When delivered this way patients will feel the benefits faster and more efficiently.
At Supreme Medical Center we offer a variety of IV treatments to help our patients look and feel their best. These treatments help to hydrate patients, provide vitamin boosts, increase immunity, stimulate their metabolism, and more. Call us today to learn more about the benefits of IV therapy for your body.
Uses of IV Therapy
IV therapy can treat:
- severe dehydration by administering fluids
- health conditions by administering medication
- pain by administering pain relief
- blood loss by blood transfusion
- malnutrition or inability to take food by administering nutrients
Doctors use the technique as a fast-acting way to feed essential fluids into the body’s system.
IV Vitamin Therapy
IV vitamin therapy can administer a high concentration of minerals and vitamins directly into the bloodstream rather than through the stomach.
A mix known as the Myers’ cocktailTrusted Source includes high doses of vitamins B and C, calcium, and magnesium. A medical professional dilutes the vitamins with sterile water.
They then put the fluid into an IV bag with a tube attached to the cannula.
Below is what happens during a typical IV therapy procedure:
- Before the procedure, a healthcare professional will choose a vein where they insert the cannula. This may beTrusted Source in the forearm, wrist, the back of the hand, or the top of the foot. If a vein is difficult to find, they may use an ultrasound scan to guide the needle.
- Once they have found a vein, the healthcare professional will sanitize the area with a wipe before inserting a fine needle attached to the cannula. They may use adhesive tape to hold the cannula in place.
- Once the cannula is in place, healthcare professionals will use tubing to connect it to the IV.
- During the infusion, a healthcare professional will regularly check the cannula to ensure that the IV is flowing properly and there is no pain or swelling in the area.
- Once the IV therapy infusion is complete, the healthcare professional will disconnect the cannula from the tubing and remove it from the vein.
- They will then apply pressure over the insertion wound to help slow any bleeding. They may dress the area with a cotton bud and adhesive tape.
The benefits of using IV therapy in a healthcare setting include:
- Speed: By inserting medications, nutrients, and fluids directly into the vein, healthcare professionals can help a patient recover quickly. This may be particularly useful if the person needs fluids or electrolytes quickly, such as during severe dehydration.
- Efficiency: IV therapy bypasses the gastric system, so the body can absorb more fluids without them having to pass through the digestive system. This makes it easier to provide medication to the target organs quickly.
- Convenience: Once a medical professional inserts a cannula, it can stay there for several days. This means they can provide regular treatment without repeatedly inserting a needle to deliver more fluids.
How Long Does IV Therapy Stay in Your System?
Fluids that enter the body through an IV may take effect quicker than if a person has consumed them orally. However, fluids, such as water, vitamins, and medication, should exit the body naturally, depending on the body’s digestive system. This may take a longer or shorter time, depending on the individual.
IV Therapy Treatment in Houston
At Supreme Medical Center we believe a happy life begins with a healthy body and mind. Our goal is to ensure each one of our patients reaches their goals by eliminating medical concerns and issues that have the potential to stand in their way with quality preventive care and treatment.
We offer IV therapy treatment for a wide range of patient needs including weight loss, allergy treatment, vitamin packs, hydration, and more. These treatments are each catered to the individual’s needs and are effective at administering care quickly and at the source.
We work with our patients to ensure they are being heard and are treated with respect and care. Schedule an appointment with our team today to learn how Supreme Medical Center stands out from the other medical groups you have worked with.
Supreme Medical Center
350 N Sam Houston Pkwy E
Houston, TX 77060
View our Facebook page
View our Google Business Listing